Nov 15, 2009

The Great Gilly Hopkins
I could have sworn I read this as a kid, which, I probably did (inbetween some creepy stories and whatever I was forced to read in class). I also am reading it because it's apart of the Banned Books frequently challenged list. Ohhh, scary literature. I found out WHY it's banned though. Twenty two pages in, Gilly decides to let her inner monologue fly:

Gilly shook her head. Inside she seethed. It was bad enough having to come to this broken-down old school but to be behind- to seem dumber than the rest of the kids- to have to appear a fool in front of ... Almost half the class was black. And she would look dumb to them. A bunch of-
"Why don't you bring your chair up to my desk, and we'll work on it?" Gilly snatched up her chair and beat Miss Harris to the front of the room. She'd show them!
pg. 22


Gilly's got an agenda, and well, most of the USA doesn't care to know how mouthy our foster system child our main character is. Oops. I read Bridge to Terabithia prior to this, so I have a good idea of Mrs. Paterson's writing style and mind set.

I'm open to suggestions, and would like to state that this blog will be updated Mondays, Saturdays and whenever else I'm struck to post about my books.

No comments:

Label Cloud